Saturday, December 20, 2008

Thanksgiving in Nebraska

This year we spent Thanksgiving in Nebraska with some of Jeff's family. Here is a brief overview of our trip... not necessarily in order


On our way to Nebraska we had a really long layover in Denver. This is how I spent a lot of my time. :)
We finally made it!! Us standing outside the NE Airport
A Panoramic view of the Winter Quarters Temple. It is nestled in a really quiet residential area.
A closer look at the temple

Right next to the left of the temple is the Winter Quarters cemetery. The gravestones are so weathered it was really hard to see the names on them. You can see how this one was broken and pasted back together.

A memorial for people who died at Winter Quarters. Richard Lyman - 9 months and Don Carlos Lyman - 5 months were the only names I found that I might be related to.

We went to the Omaha downtown lighting ceremony. This is a before shot

This is us waiting for the lights. It was pretty chilly that night.

After the lights came on.

In Idaho you can find firewood and icemelt stacked outside convenience stores....in NE you find sandbags.


After the lighting ceremony we went to a Christmas symphony concert. It was really good. When we first walked in, we sat in these seats....But then we realized we could move to the balcony and have tons of leg room and a much better view.

The symphony

Jeff and his nephews playing video games.

Entering "Mormon Bridge" - It's right on the border of Nebraska and Iowa

Inside "Mormon Bridge"
Shelly and I getting Pedicures - It was the first time I've ever had one.
The stage where we saw "A Christmas Carol" produced. It was really good. The guy that did Scrooge did a fabulous job.
The Mario Kart Tournament - It is a pretty fun game.

5 comments:

Delene said...

Your blog is taking forever to load tonight. Did you write anything by your pictures? I remember the Winter Quarters Temple. Did you do a session there? It wasn't open early in the morning when we passed through, but we did visit the cemetary.

the ginabean said...

I love a Christmas carol. AND I love pedicures. I've only had a couple, but they are so wonderful!

Glad to see your Thanksgiving pix though. Looks like you had a good time!

-I still wanna see your wedding pix!

Sam said...

Hey, you're looking good. Isn't that temple awesome? We just went through there in Aug. And really, Sam and I are pretty much addicted to mario Kart! Love ya!

Susan said...

Who won the tournament?

Rose said...

That looks like a fun trip. You guys did a lot of fun things. I'm glad you got to go.