Tuesday, January 13, 2009

FIRE!!!

I had a bit of excitement at work today. I had some students start a grease fire in the kitchen. They were trying to make fried ice cream but as you can tell, they used the smallest pan in the lab and filled in full of oil. They then put the ice cream in the oil and it overflowed all over and started on fire. Fortunately I was near by and was able to put it out before it did too much damage. I smothered it at first, but it just sent the flames down through the bottom of the stove and out the back so I had to call for the fire extinguisher. It is the first time in my whole life I have had to use a fire extinguisher. Because of all the smoke in the room after I put the fire out the fire alarm went off so then the whole school new about it. I'm not going to lie. I'm not going to lie it was a scary experience for me. I was shaking pretty badly when it was all over. But I handled it pretty well. My principal came in several times throughout the day to check on me to make sure I was okay and to tell me how amazed she was at how well I handled the situation. That made me feel good.

After we were allowed into the room I wouldn't let anyone clean up until after I had a picture. I was really happy I had my camera with me today. :)


The stove still works too.

11 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Funny but not at the same time!

Mandy said...

Oh wow! I bet that was scary! Bet yah will laugh about this one day!

for cryin' out loud said...

Scary!!! Way to go on that one! It sounds like you did good.

the ginabean said...

Oh geez. There's no good way to say this...I'm NOT glad that you had a fire at all, but when I read "FIRE" as the title of your post, I had this sad image of a fire in your HOUSE. It made me sick to my stomach! -Not that I'm thrilled you had to deal with a scary fire at work...sounds like you handled it like a pro, though.

Delene said...

Salt works great on grease fires! I've had experience!

Rose said...

That is really scary, but I'll bet your students will not stop talking about it for a long time. You are amazing!

Susan said...

How was the ice cream?

Delene said...

I like the new background.

Delene said...

I'm anxious to see updates on your kitchen.

Kate said...

The only thing I remember about Home Ec classes were making rice crispy treats... I'm pretty sure that's all we did. Sounds like your class is exciting!

Delene said...

You're due for an update!!! (Me too!)