Saturday, June 23, 2007

Zion National Park

This weeks adventure started in Zion National Park. We went down late Wed. night. stayed with LaCee in Cedar. We arrived there about 2:00 am. Then we got up at 6:00 am and went down to the park to hike the Narrows. It was an awesome hike. The weather was perfect the river was the perfect temperature.

Lisa told us all that a walking stick was mandatory for this hike. I was already in Fayette so I couldn't just run out and buy one. I asked dad for one. He said I could take his as long as I brought it back, but it's too big for me, so I went out in the back yard to find my own. I found one. When dad saw it he told me that it was not a walking stick, and that it was going to break. My friends said the same thing when they saw it. It turned out however to be the best walking stick ever!!! It outlasted a couple of the "real" walking sticks purchased at WalMart.

Gina was pretty tired when we stopped for lunch.
The boys: Jeff, Jason, Cameron
Lisa
Gina and Jeff swimming in a deep part of the river. They got caught in the current - hence the look on Gina's face and her tight grip on Jeff's arm.


That night we went to St. George to the Tuachan Theater and saw "My Fair Lady". It was a good show, but even after dark it was close to 100 degrees , and we were all really tired from the four hours of sleep the night before and our long hike that day so I don't think we enjoyed it as much as we would have otherwise.

The next day we got up after 5 hours of sleep and hiked Angel's Landing in Zion. It was an incredible hike. It is only 5 miles round trip, but it's pretty much straight up and down. With lots of switch backs. It is very worth it though. The view from up top was amazing. Lisa, Gina, Jeff, Janell, Brooke, and in the background way up top - Jason. This picture is good for showing how steep the hike was.

A view from up top. We started down there where the river is.
Tracie, Janell, Jeff, Brooke, Lisa, Gina, Jason - stopping for a picture at a flat spot on the hike.
Jason was our photographer. He took tons of pictures. I didn't take very many because it was a big pain to take out my camera every few min. And everyone agreed to share pictures later.
Me standing up top with my stick. Not only was it great for the Narrows, it survived Angel's Landing as well.
Because so many people had such little faith in my stick, I decided to leave it as a monument at the top of Angel's Landing because it worked so well. I carved the date in it and several of us carved our initials in it.Then Jeff stuck it in this bush. So if you go to the top of Angel's Landing, look for it, but don't remove it.
Brooke, Jason, Janell, Lisa, Jeff - on the shuttle after the hike and ready to go home.
Gina and Cameron - Also tired and ready to go home.

5 comments:

Mary Ann said...

That's a busy weekend

Anonymous said...

Great times! i bet that walking stick was proud to be there too. Goes to show you what 'a little bit of luck' will do for you ;)
WTG13

Rose said...

That looks fun. You guys sure know how to play.

Delene said...

Her walking stick was actually a pole we used for beans to climb on in our garden. Duel purpose! Glad you had fun.

Susan said...

"The view" picture was pretty amazing with you as the view.